IT – Network Systems Administration
ITs install and maintain multi-platform networking computer environments, a variety of data networks, and a diverse set of telecommunications infrastructures. ITs schedule information gathering for content in a multiple system environment. ITs are responsible for the operation, programming, and configuration of many pieces of electronics, hardware and software. ITs also investigate, troubleshoot, and resolve end-user problems. ITs conduct ongoing assessments of short and long-term hardware and software needs for companies, developing, testing, and implementing new and revised programs.
Information Systems Technicians cooperate with other staff to inventory, maintain and manage computer and communication systems. ITs provide communication links and connectivity to the department in an organization, serving to equipment modification and installation tasks.
Main dutiesComputer network technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks, computer workstations, connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software, operating system software and software applications
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks
- Provide problem-solving services to network users
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade Web-server hardware and software
- Implement network traffic and security monitoring software, and optimize server performance
- Perform routine network start up and close down and maintain control records
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- Control and monitor e-mail use, Web navigation, and installed softwares
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks
- May supervise other workers in this group.
Who do they work for?
- IT Support Companies
- Government agencies
- Private Sector companies
- Anywhere computer networks exist
- Internet Web site technician
- LAN administrator and technicians
- Computer network technician
- Data centre operator
- Network administrator
- System administrator
- Thinking: Problem solving, job task planning & organizing
- Document use
- Digital technology
How to join the field
- Completion of a college or other program in computer science, network administration, Web technology or a related field is usually required.
- Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.
Annual salaries between $33,000 to $60,000
For more information, contact:
294 Albert Street, Suite 201
Ottawa, ON K1P 6E6
Tel: 877 754 5226
Website : http://skillscompetencescanada.com/en/