Character Computer Animation
Computer animators use software such as 3D Studio or Animator Pro to produce animation for film, television and video. Specific examples of their creative work ranges from video games, television shows, computer simulations and educational modules to special effects for movies, websites and advertising.
As in all productions of this kind, a substantial amount of preparation takes place before the actual animation work begins. Working with the director, the animator plans and develops the story behind the animation, model characters, the background scenes, the arrangement of models in a scene, the use and placement of lighting and motion cameras and the interaction between objects. This pre-production work also includes developing storyboards, layout and character designs, and when it is finished the animator begins to create , refine and render the objects on their computer.
Main dutiesGraphic arts technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review the graphic designer's instructions
- Produce or assist in developing and producing design concepts
- Capture elements such as titles, text, drawings, illustrations, graphics, lettering, colour harmonization, etc. using a computer
- Produce computerized images and drawings
- Digitize images using peripherals and transform them using retouching systems, graphic palettes or specialized software
- Perform the layout, page make-up and placement using the conceptual mock-ups provided
- Produce proofs and camera-ready materials and prepare film and any other prepress materials
- Paint or ink individual cells of 2-D or 3-D animated drawings according to animator's specifications using an electronic palette
- Lay out, draw or paint letters, figures, logos and designs for windows, advertisements, billboards, vehicles, books and publications using specialized software or painting equipment
- Work in an interdisciplinary environment.
Who do they work for?
- Larger motion picture studios
- Level designer
- Character modler
- Special effects designer
- Graphics designer
- Motion graphic artist
- Working with Others
- Digital Technology
How to join the field
- A college diploma in commercial or graphic arts, computer graphics or animated design is required.
- Experience or training in multimedia design at a post-secondary, college or technical institution may be required.
- Creative ability and artistic talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required.
Annual salaries between $28,500 to $75,500
For more information, contact:
294 Albert Street, Suite 201
Ottawa, ON K1P 6E6
Tel: 877 754 5226
Website : http://skillscompetencescanada.com/en/